Monday, August 20, 2007

Chocolate Buttermilk Pancakes


These are my new favourites things - chocolate buttermilk pancakes.

I have been wracking my brains to think of a lively anecdote to relate about them. But I've got nothing. No mishaps, no funny stories, no great revelations. Nada. I just like them. A lot. A whole lot. A whole big lot.

They have a texture that is lovely and soft and tender and almost cake like. And they are intensely chocolatey. They have no added sugar and, as well as the cocoa, I usually add some finely grated chocolate.

On their own they are a touch on the bitter side I guess. I rely on toppings to bring the sweetness. Here I used a gorgeously rich raspberry sauce and whipped cream. Other times I have served them with an orange sauce, roasted orange slices and whipped cream. Absolutely droolworthy.

If you really want sweet pancakes a few tablespoons of castor sugar can be added into the pancake batter with no ill effects.

So there you have it. Yum.


Buttermilk Pancakes
(adapted from Cooks Companion by Stephanie Alexander)

Beat 3 egg yolks (with a few tbspns of sugar if sweetness is required) and whisk in 2 cups of buttermilk and 6ogm of melted butter. Sift over 250gm of plain flour, 50gm of cocoa, 1 tspn salt and 1 tspn of bicarbonate soda and fold in gently.

Whisk 3 egg whites to soft peaks and fold in. Pour 1/4 cup batter into lightly greased heavy pan. Cook until bubbles form and flip. Continue until the pancake is cooked through. Serve warm.

13 Comments:

At 12:54 am, Blogger Deborah said...

These look so good!! My husband is usually the breakfast maker, but I'm sure he'd love it if I whipped up a batch of these!

 
At 1:08 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, these are sinful! And no sugar? I'm intrigued - I'll have to make a batch to solve this problem. ;)

 
At 8:45 am, Blogger Anh said...

Kj, beautiful pancake for breaky! :)

 
At 1:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow--those are fantastic! pancakes are my absolute favorite breakfast, although i've never had chocolate ones before! do you recommend that book, btw ('cooks companion')? i have been admiring it at the bookstore, but not taken the plunge yet.

 
At 6:03 pm, Blogger Nora B. said...

KJ, this is definitely droolworthy! I like the orange sauce with roasted orange slices option. I love pancakes and I've never made choc ones before so I'll definitely would like to try this. Wonderful! Thank you.

 
At 6:18 pm, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

Chocolate pancakes, why have I never thought of that?! Yummy :)

I keep wondering KJ, what do your initials stand for, same as me or different? :)

 
At 8:52 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Deborah, lucky you. I wish I had a built in breakfast cook.

Hi Patricia, let me know if you do. I would love to hear your opinion.

Hi Anh, thanks.

Hi Steph. I would be lost without my copy of Cooks Companion. It has the best muffin recipe (future blogging project), chocolate chip biscuit and banana cake recipe I have ever found. It's great for basics (except for pastry). It's also great if you are looking for inspiration around a particular ingredient.

Hi Nora. These are gorgeous with orange. They have never made it to a photo.

Hi Kelly-Jane. No, not quite. The K is for Karen. The J is my middle name (which I only admit to under torture). I ended up with KJ years ago, because there are always a million other Karens anywhere you go.

 
At 10:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi KJ, not only are they buttermilk but chocolate too. This sounds absolutely like the type of breakfast I would eat leisurely.

 
At 8:48 am, Blogger Nora B. said...

Hi again, thanks for commenting on my Rocky burger.

Food In Film: I wanted to let you know that Susan will accept late entries since she will only do the round up in a week's time. So it's not too late if you feel like playing along. :-)

 
At 4:30 am, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

Thanks KJ! Now I need wonder no more :)

 
At 4:40 am, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These pancakes would certainly cure my chocohol-ic fix for the day. They sound delcious!!!!

 
At 1:41 pm, Blogger Kirsten said...

These look SOOOO amazing!! Wow! I just finished dinner and I am drooling. :)

Delicious!

 
At 1:37 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Veron, Hi Valli, Hi Kirsten, thanks for your kind comments.

Hi Nora and Kelly Jane, you are welcome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet