Saturday, August 25, 2007

A face full of vegetables

'Mr Alph Ralph'

What the heck is this you are probably asking? Well it's my very own artistic endeavour, and here's the kicker, it's made entirely from vegetables. You would never have guessed that now would you? LOL.

There is a reason for this creative outburst. It's all because of Charlotte and Freddie over at the The Great Big Veg Challenge. It's a great site. Freddie is a seven year old vegetable hater and his Mum (Charlotte) is trying to reform him by working through the vegetable alphabet. They are up to M for Mushrooms.

Anyway, Charlotte and Freddie have now launched a new project - a mass movement of vegetable faces. I was more than happy to join in.

I wandered around the farmer's market this morning totally oblivious to quality and price. Instead I was pondering whether this or that was the right shape for eyebrows or whether parsley was a vegetable and therefore useable.

My first effort, at the top of the page, comprises alfalfa sprouts, broccoli, red capsicum, yellow split peas, carrots, green beans, red onions, pink mushrooms (name unknown), white mushrooms, star anise (it was vegetation once) and pine nuts (hey, its from a plant).

It was too much fun to stop at one. So I went onto my second effort, using much the same ingredients. I am more than happy to admit that this creation is derivative, being heavily inspired by Celia in Suffolk's effort on Charlotte and Freddie's site. She is clearly a highly creative and talented person.


'DJ Phalf'

If you feel inspired yourself, the details of the Vegetable Face Mass Movement can be found here. There also lots of other great faces to check out.

14 Comments:

At 7:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for these. I will encorporate them into the slide animation tomorrow when I am back on my own computer -
We love them
Charlotte and Freddie
xx

 
At 9:13 am, Blogger Nora B. said...

KJ, that's a fantastic job! I love the alfalfa sprouts hair :-) You should name your veg portraits.

 
At 9:30 am, Blogger KJ said...

H Charlotte and Freddie, you're welcome, it was great fun. I'm glad you like them.

 
At 9:46 am, Blogger KJ said...

Thanks Nora. I've taken up your suggestion. They have been officially christened.

 
At 10:52 am, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL! Love their names, well chosen.

p/s: I just complete the meme and making your pancakes NOW! have a wonderful day. It's sunny over here, wooo-hooo!

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger Nora B. said...

Hi KJ, sorry I am the "g" above. My partner was logged on when I wrote the comment.

 
At 3:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh! That face is wonderful.

 
At 5:16 am, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I saw this over at the Great Big Veggie Challenge. There are some talented veggie eaters out there. I thought it was cute and I loved the music as well. Great job on your veggie face by the way!!!!

 
At 9:27 am, Blogger Peabody said...

Very cool.

 
At 1:05 am, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

That's great! Brings a big smile :)

 
At 5:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha...cool!

 
At 8:49 pm, Blogger Pinky said...

Fully sick.
Veg-alicious!

 
At 10:57 am, Blogger Cate said...

Very cute!

 
At 1:35 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet