Friday, February 01, 2008

Brisvegas and Ice Scream



For the past week I have been in Brisbane (locally known jokingly as Brisvegas), my old university stomping ground. I had a great Australia day - down the pub, out in a shady garden, surrounded by frosty drinks, people draped in flags, watching the cricket. It was good to be Aussie.

Here are a few shots to give you a flavour of this most relaxed and laid back of cities. I hope you enjoy them.





























-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I Scream for Ice Cream

I am amazed at myself!!! It is two-thirds of the way through summer and I have yet to post a single ice cream recipe. The horror, the horror!!!!!

Two rectify this terrible lapse I am posting not one, but two. And they are both absolutely delicious.

White Chocolate and Fresh Ginger Ice Cream

I love ginger. I love white chocolate. So when I spotted this recipe on David Lebovitz's blog, I simply could not resist.

Which is a good thing because I ended up with a lovely creamy refreshing ice cream. What's great is that the ginger flavour is totally in your control. I steeped the ginger for quite some time because I wanted a strong flavour. Less time will give a more subtle flavour.



Dulce de Leche Ice Cream



I spotted this recipe on Canela's Kitchen. Again, I simply could not resist. Growing up, my mum would make caramel and scoop it into little tartlettes topped with whipped cream, banana and passionfruit. My sister and I were in seventh heaven.

So to capture that flavour in an ice cream - oh drooooooool!!!!! And it was just as good as it promised to be.

8 Comments:

At 2:41 am, Blogger Deborah said...

I'll take a scoop of each!!

 
At 7:36 am, Blogger Brilynn said...

I've made dulce de leche ice cream before and it was great. That ginger chocolate combo sounds heavenly though, I definitely want to give it a try!

 
At 2:14 pm, Blogger Cindy said...

Bris Vegas! My home town. I'm glad you can appreciate its leisurely ways, some people just find it slow and boring.

I love the look of that ginger and white chocolate ice-cream. I made a startlingly strong ginger ice-cream years ago, but it had a strange mouthfeel. I trust that you and David Lebovitz are onto something better. :-)

 
At 3:13 pm, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I think I am going to have to break down and get David's book. I see so many recipes, and all different, all over the blogosphere. Excellent!!!

 
At 5:48 am, Blogger Emily said...

I'm with Deb- I'll take a scoop of each!
I love ice cream!
The white chocolate and ginger sounds amazing.

 
At 9:56 am, Blogger Nora B. said...

Can you believe that I've not been to Brisvegas yet? I haven't had a good excuse yet, but I am sure that will change in the future.

These two ice-cream flavours sound soooo good!

 
At 9:57 pm, Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Deborah, a scoop of each? I bet you're skinny as a rake!

KJ, I'll raid your freezer and eat the lot!

I keep forgetting that you're in the middle of Summer and we're in the middle of a cold, wet grey Winter.

 
At 8:45 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Deborah, they are in the mail. LOL, if only!!!

Hi Brilynn, I hope you do, it's delicious.

Hi Cindy, I like slow. Slow is my kind of town.

Hi Val, it's worth the purchasing. So many delicious recipes.

Hi Emiline, ice cream is one of my faves too.

Hi Nora, Brisbane is a great place to spend some time. It's so relaxed and easy going.

Hi Amanda, you'd be welcome. I am loving being in summer and am dreading winter. I hate the cold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet