Sunday, April 27, 2008

Daring Bakers - Cheesecake Pops



I am a slave to recipes. I admit it. I'm drawn to a recipe because I want to try THAT. And if I'm really honest:

a) if I muck around with it I will just end up with a mess and have to stand there sadly scraping it into the bin; and

b) I rarely have any better ideas. I'm not known for my foodie imagination.

But when I saw this month's Daring Baker's challenge - cheesecake pops - it's like something clicked in my brain. I was just coming up with ideas left, right and centre. The little grey cells were on fire. It got to the point where I was worried that I would not have enough pops to demonstrate my creative genius. Heaven forbid!!!!

It was all alright in the end. The recipe said 40 pops, I think I ended up with about 60. I did this by breaking the Daring Baker rules. Oh dear! There I said it. Before I am blackballed into oblivion, let me explain my truly excellent excuse. I could not find lollipop sticks. I tried. The only other thing I could think of was wooden skewers, which are long and thin and not built for 2oz pops (as directed by the hosts). So I made them skewer appropriate. I throw myself on the mercy of the blogosphere.

So what were these wonderous ideas I dreamed up. I will go through them.

But first a quick word about the cheesecake itself. YUM!!! I think that about covers it. I had to cook it for much longer than the recipe suggested - over an hour versus 35 minutes. But it set up beautifully. And it was incredibly creamy and delicious.



I scooped out about half the cheesecake into balls and cut the rest into squares. So onto my big ideas.

Cachous

Okay not exactly ground breaking, but who cares. They are so pretty.





Milk Chocolate and Musk

These pops are dusted with ground muskettes. I love musk lollies. I always have a packet on hand. I think it all went together really well.



White Chocolate and Lavender

I was a bit worried that white chocolate and cheesecake would be too rich. But it turned out well. The lavender added a lovely touch. I've added a bit too much here, but they just looked so pretty. You really only need a few buds to add a lovely touch of flavour.



Dark Chocolate Rum and Raisin

These were one of my favourites. I soaked some sultanas in rum overnight. Then I roughly chopped them and pressed them into the cheesecake pops. I then froze the pops and dipped them into the chocolate. Yum.



Triple Threats

I made these to use up the chocolate leftovers from the pops above. But they were good in their own right.



Passionfruit Jelly

I was really keen to experiment with jellies. Unfortunately I couldn't find any fresh passionfruit. Usually I can get large nets for only a few dollars at the markets. But it seemed to be an off week. So I used passionfruit syrup instead.

I heated 300ml in a double boiler and then added some sugar to taste. I stirred in six gelatine leaves until dissolved. Once the jelly had cooled I quickly dipped some frozen pops and returned them to the freezer. This created a thin initial layer of jelly. I then left the jelly until it was very thick and just beginning to set. I then dipped the frozen pops again. The best approach is to twirl the pops horizontally and all around after dipping to force the jelly to roll around the pop. It is then able to set around the pop rather than just running off.







Raspberry and Dark Chocolate

I coated the pops in a raspberry jelly using the same method as for the passionfruit pops. This time I used a light sugar syrup, added some pureed raspberries which had been sieved to remove the seeds. At the very end I crumbled in some whole raspberries. I returned the jellied pops to the freezer and then dipped them in dark chocolate.

These were my other favourites.



Rose and Pistachio

Again I used the same method to coat the pops in jelly. This time I used a light sugar syrup flavoured with rose water. I dipped them in milk chocolate and sprinkled them with pistachio.

These were really good, but the rose flavour needed to be a bit stronger. It has to be quite intense to cut through the chocolate, pistachio and cheesecake.



Mango and Coconut

I abandoned the whole chocolate dipping thing. Instead, I made up a crumb base and used that to coat the pops. I crushed some Nice biscuits and mixed them with some melted butter. I toasted them in the oven until they were golden and crisp. I mixed up the cooled crumbs with some dessicated coconut.

I didn't freeze these pops at all. I simply rolled them in the crumb mix and then topped them with some sliced mango.

These were absolutely delicious. The crisp crumbs and coconut contrasted beautifully with the sweet mango and creamy cheesecake. Yum!!!



Pear and Hazelnut

I made these the same way as the mango coconut. Instead of coconut I added some ground hazelnuts to the crumb base. I topped the pops with some sliced pear. Again delicious.



Strawberry and Chocolate

Again, this is the same method as above. This time mixed some grated dark chocolate into the crumb mixture. I topped it off with strawberries. These were my other other favourites. They were really really seriously good.



Jelly and Crumble

I had quite a few pops, crumb mix and jelly left over. So I put them all together. These were good too.







Overall, I rate these as a huge success. I will be making them again. I'm not sure if I would go for the dipped chocolate, as good as it was. I much prefer the crumb mix. I can see a whole platter with different combinations of nuts, fruit, jellies and grated chocolates.

Thanks to this month's hosts, Elle of Feeding My Enthusiasms and Deborah of Taste and Tell , for a great challenge. The recipe will be available on their blogs sometime soon. To see a million more beautiful pops visit my fellow Daring Bakers through the Blogroll.

Labels: , ,

84 Comments:

At 2:34 am, Blogger grace said...

kj, i am utterly speechless! you can never again say that you have no foodie imagination! every single one of those cheesecake balls is brilliant, gorgeous, creative, and surely delicious. i'm majorly impressed and awed--nicely done!!

 
At 3:35 am, Blogger glamah16 said...

Sucess for sure. You real;ly went all out! What a lovely array theses would make at a dinner party. You have a great imagination.I'm jealous. Really amazing!

 
At 4:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like it is already April the 27 in Australia! And this is the first Cheesecake Pop post I am reading! Wow, I am amazed at your imagination! I wouldn't think of so many varieties to make! They all look gorgeous and delicious! I am speechless. What a talent! I will be posting mine tomorrow, so excited! Cheers!

 
At 8:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, absolutely amazing! They all look fantastic, and kudos for trying so many different varieties!

 
At 8:43 am, Blogger Dolores said...

The first of the cheesecake pops are appearing as mine finish up in the oven. I am in awe of your creative genius... you had me sold at white chocolate and lavender. And then you kept going. Wow.

 
At 8:47 am, Blogger aisha said...

Wow, what creativity! they all look so yummy!

 
At 10:33 am, Blogger desie said...

creative genius, indeed. it would be hard to pick a favourite- they all look gorgeous and delish.

 
At 11:06 am, Blogger Jenny said...

Oh my....
I bow down and worship at your feet, you goddess of the cheesecake pops! Amazing!

 
At 12:53 pm, Blogger Chris said...

Wow - this is my first pop post and I don't think I should post mine tomorrow! These are exemplary! *sigh* Just perfect! Well done.

 
At 1:35 pm, Blogger Bumblebutton said...

Wow-you let your creative juices roll! They were all so pretty--it was hard to chose a favorite. But I have to say the pear/hazelnut was speaking to me! Great job!

 
At 1:35 pm, Blogger Megan said...

Wow, You are the cheesecake pop Queen. I crown you!!!

 
At 2:29 pm, Blogger hungryandfrozen said...

Good grief those look insanely good. I would have an incredibly difficult time choosing just one or two to eat...

 
At 2:54 pm, Blogger Helene said...

Ab-so-lu-te-ly magnificient!! I love the jelly-crumble ones! I like your grey cells are on fire!!

 
At 3:03 pm, Blogger L said...

WOW! You did amazing.

 
At 3:43 pm, Blogger Christine said...

OMGooses, you are very creative! Excellent job!

Christina ~ She Runs, She Eats

 
At 4:08 pm, Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I'm on the floor in total awe! You must have cooked your grey cells to get all these. But everyone of them is absolutely over the top marvelous! Could I please have one of each?
Really really great!

 
At 4:39 pm, Blogger Gigi said...

You went all out! What a great assortment of cheesecake pops. They are all stunning.

 
At 6:06 pm, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

What a terrific imagination you have, so so many wonderful pops :)Really well done!

 
At 6:12 pm, Blogger chriesi said...

WOW amazing!!!

 
At 7:16 pm, Blogger Cakelaw said...

Wow, I have never seen so many different flavours! These are fantastic. My favourite would have to be the milk chocolate and musk - I am a musk Lifesaver fiend, so musk Lifesavers + chocolate + cheesecake = heaven.

 
At 9:25 pm, Blogger Deborah said...

Oh, my! I think this is only the second blog I've been to today so far, but I don't think anyone is going to out-do you!! Wonderful job!

 
At 10:09 pm, Blogger KPB said...

YOU ARE A MACHINE.

You have just blown my mind.

AMAZING.

AMAZING.

AMAZING.

 
At 10:12 pm, Blogger Christine said...

I am so jealous! Your pops look amazing and you were so creative with the decorations. Awesome job!

 
At 11:02 pm, Blogger Jerry said...

You are truly Daring! Love all the combos! Great job!

 
At 11:02 pm, Blogger KBK Bakery said...

I love the little square ones with things stuck on top. Looks like sushi pops! Yum!

 
At 11:14 pm, Blogger Katie B. said...

You, my dear, are a pop genius. Seriously the most amazing pops! I don't even want to think about how long it took you to do all of those! Gorgeous!

 
At 11:42 pm, Blogger Lis said...

OHMYGOD.. I bow to you. You could sell these and make a fortune! They look THAT GOOD! You've given me so many ideas for the next time I make these.. SO MANY!!

Each one is more beautiful than the one before it. :D

xoxo

 
At 12:01 am, Blogger Molly Loves Paris said...

I am totally blown away by all the awesome things you did with your lollies! If the Daring Bakers gave out prizes for the cheesecake lollies I'm sure you would get a blue ribbon or the grand prize.

 
At 12:03 am, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I would say that you let your imagination run wild KJ. Beautiful photos and some really fantastic ideas. So hard to choose which would be my favourite.

 
At 12:14 am, Blogger Pixie said...

Wow! You certainly worked very hard on your pops and it shows- wonderful various combinations. Shall star this one for future reference!

 
At 12:32 am, Blogger Jen said...

Wow.... I am always so impressed with other Daring Bakers- your pops are so gorgeous and the flavor combos really seem like they would boost the flavor of the cheesecake and compliment it really well.

 
At 12:32 am, Blogger Jen said...

Wow.... I am always so impressed with other Daring Bakers- your pops are so gorgeous and the flavor combos really seem like they would boost the flavor of the cheesecake and compliment it really well.

 
At 1:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I love the idea of lavender and white chocolate.

 
At 1:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me, I'm not sure if you realize that you made TWELVE different styles of pops! Each one amazing on its own, but what a spectacular platter they would make. Your triple threat is exactly what I set out to do, only mine didn't quite make it.

 
At 1:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that is an array of pops there..each better than the other!!!

 
At 2:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous - I need to make another batch now just to copy all your fab ideas! And how quick you are - I think you were the first to post! Hx

 
At 2:26 am, Blogger Sheltie Girl said...

Wow, you were on the inspirational roll with this recipe. All the flavor combinations look fabulous and I'm sure they were decadently delicious.

Fabulous job!

Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go

 
At 3:21 am, Blogger jasmine said...

All I have to say is "Wow!"

I'm so impressed with all of your variants, but especially the pear-hazelnut, passionfruit and musk.

I've not had muskettes before--am intrigued.

j

 
At 3:22 am, Blogger Mama Mia said...

OH MY GOD! You went ALLLLL out! Making everyone else look bad! hahah. I just joined DB and will be starting with next months challenge! Im so excited!!!

 
At 3:29 am, Blogger Dagmar said...

Amazing presentation!!! So many creative and fantastic decorations and coatings!!! Excellent work!

 
At 3:38 am, Blogger Annemarie said...

Oh. My. God. I kept scrolling down thinking 'that one's pretty impressive' only for you to display one that topped it. Fabulous batch of pops. I hope you had an appropriately adulatory crowd around to enjoy them.

 
At 4:05 am, Blogger Patti said...

Seriously impressive. Each one is more imaginative than the next. Congratulations.

 
At 4:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have found your calling! Seriously, you should hang a sign over your door and start making these for parties.

Great ideas! The crumbs seems like a very good idea. I think I will try that variation myself if and when I make this recipe another time.

 
At 4:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am absolutely impressed beyond words. I love the mango and coconut one. And the raspberry one, and the pistachio one.You must have had a brillant creative break through! Truly incredible.

 
At 4:31 am, Blogger Andrea Meyers said...

WOW! I love the combinations you came up with! Fantastic job on the challenge!

 
At 4:56 am, Blogger Karen Baking Soda said...

You blow me away! Amazing results and such great pics. My favourite would be the passionfruit ánd raspberry ánd pear...eh..

 
At 5:20 am, Blogger Julia from Dozen Flours said...

"..I'm not known for my foodie imagination." WHAT?

If your myriad combinations of flavors isn't a display of your foodie imagination, I don't know what is! Seriously, BRAVO!

 
At 5:52 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think you get to claim a lack of creativity ever again! These are spectacular, and I actually prefer the smaller size.

I had forgotten about the musk "lollies" that I had when I was in Australia - you can't get them here, at least not that I've seen, and that would be such an interesting flavor combination with chocolate.

 
At 5:57 am, Blogger Jen Yu said...

What a fantastic assortment of combinations! They're all gorgeous (the metallic dots are wonderful) and I am so impressed with the variations you tried. That passion jelly is the bomb, though. I don't even know where I can get my hands on some... Brilliant!!

 
At 7:55 am, Blogger Veron said...

Oh my! What a wonderful collection of cheesecake pops. I am truly amazed!

 
At 9:19 am, Blogger Gretchen Noelle said...

These all look DELICIOUS! Wish I could have tried one. Of each. The passionfruit one looks amazing to me and makes me want to try making something like that. You did a phenomenal job with these!

 
At 9:48 am, Blogger Kristen said...

Ok, I get to your page and say, wow, what a gorgeous cheesecake pop and then I scroll down a little ways and think wow she made another kind that looks equally delicious and then I scroll down and again and again there are more equally beautiful and amazing flavor combinations. I am seriously in awe. As I was scrolling down I was wondering if they were ever going to end! Great job!

 
At 10:43 am, Blogger June said...

Oh my goodness, so many choices!!!! You sure spent a lot of time on the pops. They all look amazing. I can't help but wonder what the passion fruit covered ones tasted like. Excellent job.

 
At 11:19 am, Blogger lynne said...

FANTASTIC pops! They're beautiful and sound like they'd taste great. Nice work.

 
At 11:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all the flavors you made. What are muskettes? I have never heard of them and are very intrigued!!!!

 
At 11:31 am, Blogger Sarah said...

wow! Your flavors are amazing! I cannot imagine the time you put into this months challenge! Nicely done. I would love to try each and everone of those flavors!

 
At 12:12 pm, Blogger Dharm said...

Oh my Oh my Oh my! And here I was leaving out all the sprinkles and nuts while you went completely creative! These are simply superb! So many flavours too! You are my hero...!

 
At 12:16 pm, Blogger Michele said...

This is my first DB challenge, and stumbling upon your blog... I would have never guessed that you don't have any foodie imagination! WOW! Not only did you come up with great ideas, your photographs are just as fantastic!

I really enjoyed reading through your critique and ideas for this recipe!

Thank you!

xoxo

Michele
http://abigcupoftea.blogspot.com/

 
At 1:33 pm, Blogger lil one said...

Wow! Speechless beyond words! Simply amazing!

 
At 2:04 pm, Blogger steph- whisk/spoon said...

wow--you really went to town there! and they all look AMAZING! the white chocolate lavender is gorgeous, and i'm a total sucker for the cachous, too! :)

 
At 3:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing ideas! Great job!

 
At 11:29 pm, Blogger Big Boys Oven said...

I am lost with words now, I want to crown you the Queen of Pops! so amazingly creative and you really to the challenge so well!

 
At 11:44 pm, Blogger Colette said...

Amazing!! Gorgeous! Simply awesome is every way. You've owned this challenge!

 
At 12:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are absolutely amazing! They look delicious, and the photos are just beautiful. I'm not sure what "musk" is, but it looks lovely!

 
At 12:23 am, Blogger Amy J. said...

Good gosh, woman! You could open your own cheesecake pops store with all of those flavors! What a creative imagination you've got. They look awesome, too. YUM!

 
At 12:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are brilliant.

 
At 1:57 am, Blogger Meandering Eats said...

Whoa! Talk about creativity. I love the flavor combinations and they make beautiful pictures.

 
At 8:49 am, Blogger Jess said...

WOW! Those all look amazing! So creative! Great job on the challenge!

 
At 10:34 am, Blogger Lunch Buckets said...

I can't believe you made so many! Skewer appropriateness aside, you've NOTHING to apologize for!

 
At 1:14 pm, Blogger Renee said...

I'm in awe of your creativity! They all looks so wonderful and unique!

 
At 7:28 pm, Blogger fanny said...

wow you've made so many of them and honestly, the all look superb.

the lavender one definitely looks pretty!

xx fanny

 
At 10:01 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Aaaw geee, thanks everyone. I had so much fun with this challenge. I'm glad you all enjoyed it too.

 
At 10:08 pm, Blogger KJ said...

I you are wondering what muskettes are they are hard little flavoured pressed powder lollies sold my Daryl Lea. Musk lollies are peculiarly Australian I think. More popular forms are lifesavers seen in this link or musk sticks.

http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/search/index1.php/url_indprod/xdbc_105

The musk flavour is impossible to describe. It's kind of like a perfume, kind of.

 
At 10:40 pm, Blogger ~Amber~ said...

Wow, look at all those delectable flavor combinations!! They all look fantastic. Wonderful job.

 
At 2:25 am, Blogger T’s Treats said...

oh my gosh..how very amazing! I thought I did flavors, yours are unbelievable.. they look so elegant!! Great job!

 
At 7:02 am, Blogger Unknown said...

wow!!

 
At 8:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so creative! I just discovered the Daring Bakers, so I missed this challenge. I'll be back to steal some of your ideas!

 
At 9:45 am, Blogger kitten said...

you were one hard working daring baker... the flavor combinations you came up with are off the hook ! fantastic. incredible. adorable.

 
At 12:27 pm, Blogger Cynthia said...

Okay, okay, you didn't have to show off so much :) I particularly love the first photograph.

 
At 2:54 am, Blogger Belinda said...

Wow! Double WOW! How amazingly creative you were with these cheesecake pops. All of your ideas are amazing, and everything looks so pretty. :-)

 
At 10:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're so creative !!!! it's wonderful !!!!!! they're all so cute and appetizing !!!!!
Congratulations ! So well done !!!!!

 
At 12:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My! You went crazy!

I love your creativity...what an amazing job you did. I love all of them, but I'm particularly taken with the rum/raisin and the coconut mango.

Wow. Excellent stuff. And beautiful photos too.

 
At 1:05 am, Blogger Susan @ SGCC said...

Holy Moly, woman! You could open your own shop with all of those luscious pops! What creativity and stamina to make all those different combinations! Great job!

 
At 6:40 am, Blogger creampuff said...

Wow, KJ! I'm speechless. You went all out and your pops are amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet