Thursday, June 05, 2008

Challenge Book #13 - Chicken Leek Pie



I cannot resist puff pastry. It's just so good. It's all golden, crispy and buttery. Wrap it around an old sock and I would still try to eat it.

So it was a foregone conclusion that I would like this chicken leek pie.



Fortunately, the filling is worthy of praise in its own right. But really, how can you go wrong with chicken, leeks, bacon, cream and a lash of seasoning. I was always going to like that as well.



And it's dead easy to pull together. And it looks nice. So really, it's an all around foolproof winner.




And here I am at Challenge Book #13. Woohoo, I am motoring along. This one is Classic Essential Pies from the Family Circle collection. Yet another one of those little books that sit so invitingly at supermarket checkouts. While I've owned this book for many, many years, I've only ever made one other recipe from it. So it's about time I made some use of it.


Chicken Leek Pie
(adapted from Family Circle Classic Essential Pies)

30gm butter
2 small leeks, whites only
3 rashers bacon
3 chicken breast fillets
1/2 cup cream
2 egg yolks
salt and pepper
2 sheets of puff pastry
1 egg, beaten

Thinly slice the leeks, dice the bacon and cut the chicken breasts into thin strips.

Melt the butter in a fry pan, and saute the leeks over a low-medium heat for about 10minutes. They should be very soft and golden. Spoon from the pan and set aside.

Fry the bacon until brown. Spoon from the pan and set aside.

Add the chicken and cook until lightly brown. Remove from the pan.

Wipe the pan clean. Return the bacon, chicken and leeks. Add the combined cream and eggs. Cook gently for about two minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.

Cut thin strips from around the edge of one pastry sheet. Place the sheet on a lightly greased oven tray. Spoon on the chicken mix, leaving a border (about 2cm) all around the edge.

Brush the edge of pastry sheet with water and then lay the second pastry sheet over the top. Brush the edges with water and then roll them back over toward the middle of the pie and tightly seal. You can decorate with the cut strips of pastry.

Prick the pastry with a fork and brush with the beaten egg.

Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown in a 210C oven.

14 Comments:

At 11:10 pm, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, that looks amazing! I agree with you - the list of ingredients made me drool, already.

 
At 2:27 am, Blogger Deborah said...

Yes - this one sounds truly delicious!! So how many cookbooks do you have to work through??

 
At 2:55 am, Blogger grace said...

to be completely honest, i could just bake puff pastry by itself and be perfectly content to munch on that. adding bacon and cream to the mix only makes it better--this looks fabulous! :)

 
At 9:18 am, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Patricia, thanks. It's hard to go wrong with this one.

Hi Deborah, thanks. I have about 52 cookbooks. So there is a way to go yet!!!

Hi Grace, oh me too. If only it wasn't so laden with calories!!!

 
At 12:43 pm, Blogger Brilynn said...

I'm a big puff pastry fan as well, you can make so much stuff with it!

 
At 7:33 pm, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

It couldn't not be good, chicken pie... just the words yum!

 
At 2:37 pm, Blogger Elle said...

Delicious sounding recipe! I like it that it's easy, too. Great photos!

 
At 12:55 pm, Blogger Gloria Baker said...

This looks really wonderful and tasty!! Gloria

 
At 11:18 am, Blogger jasmine said...

This looks so tasty--would have been perfect for the ramps I had the other week..

j

 
At 1:38 pm, Blogger Joe said...

Count me in with the Puff Pastry fans! The recipe looks (and sounds) tasty!

 
At 4:28 pm, Blogger Anita (Married... with dinner) said...

I love your challenge... but the idea of cooking through your collection, and the reward for yourself at the end. Looking great so far!

 
At 10:49 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Brilynn, I agree. It is versatility itself.

Hi Kelly-Jane. I know, I love chicken pie in all its shapes and forms.

Hi Elle, thanks

Hi Gloria, thanks.

Hi Jasmine, it would be great for sharing.

Hi Joe, we are many I think!!

Hi Anita, thanks. It's been great fun so far.

 
At 11:52 pm, Blogger Dharm said...

The Pie looks great! Funnily enough, I just posted my own recipe for Chicken Pie!! i love how you are challenging yourself for Green George! :)

 
At 9:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not my favorite chicken recipe cos I can't stand leaks but I'd probably give this a go. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet