Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Challenge Book #16 - Lattice Slice


This recipe is a slice of my childhood. This was my Mum's favourite recipe for get togethers - Horticultural Club meetings, tupperware parties, sewing circles. There always seemed to be a tray of this walking out our front door. Fortunately, she would always leave a few squares behind for my sister and I.

And it was not only my Mum making this. It was a favourite in our town. It would turn up pretty much everywhere - brownie meetings, netball breakups, picnics.

So much so, that it was certain starter in any local charity cookbook. It made it into this one twice. This book dates from before the days of calorie consciousness - there's a whole whallop of cream cheese and butter in there.
Amazingly, until now I have never made it myself. There's no reason for this, it just kind of fell off the radar when I moved away from home.

It seemed time to rectify this when I was asked to bring a plate to an afternoon tea. And it would give me the chance to cross off another book in my KJ wants a Kitchen Aid Challenge. This is Challenge Book #16.

It is the easiest thing to make. Really it could not be simpler. And it is so yummy. Creamy smooth cheescake with the snap of crisp sugary biscuits.



My Mum always made the filling plain. Which is delicious. But I couldn't help myself - I mixed in some raspberries and grated chocolate. Also great. I think you could mix in pretty much any flavours you want.

I have no idea about the origin of lattice biscuits. All I know is that they are made by Arnotts and are available in Woolies supermarkets. They are a bit like a sweet glazed SAO. I think really you could use any crisp sweet biscuits or pastry.

I'm so glad I rediscovered this!!!



Lattice Slice
(adapted from Care for Kids Morning Tea Recipes)

250gm cream cheese
250gm butter
1 cup castor sugar
1 tspn vanilla extract
2 tspn lemon juice
2 tspn gelatine
lattice biscuits

Beat together cream cheese and butter. Add sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Dissolve the gelatine in water and stir in.

Line a small deep baking tray with the lattice biscuits, golden side down. Spread the mixture over the biscuits. Add another layer of lattice biscuits on top, golden side up.

Refrigerate until set. Cut into squares.

12 Comments:

At 10:31 pm, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, these are completely new to me. And I like them already. I love how colorful and beautifully layered they are.

 
At 1:09 am, Blogger grace said...

i can't say that i've had anything quite like this before--i don't even know what lattice biscuits are or where to get them--but "creamy smooth cheescake with the snap of crisp sugary biscuits" sounds awfully delightful to me! :)

 
At 1:32 am, Blogger Deborah said...

What a wonderful snack! I have never heard of this before, but I do want to try it! I love those charity cookbooks - they usually have some great recipes!

 
At 9:15 am, Blogger Cindy said...

KJ, this recipe takes me back, too! In my childhood lattice biscuits were used for home-made vanilla slice and smothered in passionfruit icing. :-)

 
At 7:37 pm, Blogger Chibog in Chief said...

the photos are so tempting!! I have never tried making some yet..thanks for sharing the recipe, i'll probably give it a try for they look really good!

 
At 1:40 am, Blogger Laura said...

This looks really yummy. I don't know if I have ever seen lattice biscuits before--now I need to go look.

 
At 3:55 am, Blogger Helene said...

I am catching up on all your previous challenges and I think this is a brilliant idea! All are mouth watering and this one is really fun!

 
At 5:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look so delicious! I have never heard of Lattice cookies before. Than you for educating me. This is such a great recipe! I am saving it!

 
At 8:52 am, Blogger Nora B. said...

It's nice to rediscover childhood favourites. These look elegant enough for high tea parties with the girls. Thanks for sharing and I hope that you are having a lovely weekend,

Nora

 
At 3:05 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Patricia, thanks.

Hi Grace, thanks.

Hi Deborah, thanks. I agree, charity cookbooks have tried and true recipes.

Hi Cindy, that sounds fantastic. The Arnotts website has a recipe for vanilla slice made with SAOs. Sounds not so good to me.

Hi Dhanggit, I hope you do.

Hi Lauru, they are an unusual biscuit.

Hi Tartelette, thanks.

Hi Farida, thanks.

Hi Nora, I agree. They are quite elegant.

 
At 1:49 pm, Blogger Elle said...

This looks like a great recipe for a pot luck, but I've never seen lattice biscuits (or cookies in the U.S.) quite like those. Such a pretty pattern. Love the addition of the raspberry and chocolate flavors. I wouldn't mind a bit of this with some tea.

 
At 3:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice recipe. How much water needed to dissolve gelatin?

Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet