Monday, August 11, 2008

Dutch Ginger Cake



Could you all do me a favour? Can you just imagine that there are some almonds studded into the top of this cake in a nice pretty pattern? And if it's not too much trouble can you make them all nice and toasty and inviting. Taaa. Much appreciated.



Because that would be how this cake would have looked if my Dad hadn't launched one of his devestating snack attacks during his recent visit. My Dad is a nut fiend. He has this uncanny ability to winkle them out of any pantry, no matter how well hidden or long forgotten they are.

It's not just nuts, either, this is a major talent he has. He never shops. He never cooks. But seemingly at a whim, he can wander in a kitchen and extract unimagined delicacies from the meanest of pantries. The high water mark was definitely when, during a late night sugar attack, he zeroed in on a packet of chocolate coated sultanas skulking behind the flour canisters. No chocolate coated sultana has ever gotten past me and lived, so this was like something of a minor miracle. I always imagine that if we were lost in the woods, he would just wander over and pull a whole Yogi Bear style hamper from behind a log or something.

Anyway, back to this cake, almonds or no almonds it is seriously good. It's not really a cake, it's more of shortbready biscuit - buttery and crumbly. Big chunks of ginger make it extra delicious.



It also had the added advantage of being quick and easy. There's nothing to it really.

The recipe came from Maggie Beer who made it on her TV show, The Cook and the Chef. I've spoken before of how much I love Maggie. This cake has just taken her up yet another few notches.

10 Comments:

At 11:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could sure use my imagination. My hubby also have been known to eat something that was meant for a recipe :) . Your ginger cake looks delicious even without the almonds.

 
At 5:33 am, Blogger David T. Macknet said...

It looks beautiful even without the nuts! Yum!

 
At 6:31 am, Blogger giz said...

I'm so glad you posted this. My cousin from Melbourne just brought me an Aussie cookbook that has something very similar in it - I can't wait to get into making this - ginger is especially soothing.

 
At 7:01 am, Blogger Deborah said...

I'm not familiar with Maggie Beer, but I think I'll have to look her up now!

 
At 8:43 am, Blogger grace said...

nah, it doesn't even need the almonds.
and thank you for that wonderful visual of a grown man strolling behind a tree in the forest and emerging with a pick-a-nick basket--it brought a smile to my face. :)

 
At 9:15 am, Blogger Nora B. said...

KJ, you got be laughing with the story of your dad. My partner is guilty of the same thing. That's why I've become quite good at substituting ingredients.

I love Maggie Beer as well! I have a few of her products that came straight from S.Australia from a friend who ate at her restaurant. She said that it had a fantastic view and everything was delicious. Some day I'll get there...

Nora

 
At 9:44 am, Blogger Cynthia said...

In a way it's a good thing your dad took the nuts because it gave us a change to dream, imagine...

 
At 9:51 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi veron, thanks.

Hi Davimack, thanks.

Hi Giz, ginger is one of nature's wonder foods.

Hi Deborah, do! She's great.

Hi Grace, your welcome.

Hi Nora, I would love to visit her restaurant too!!

Hi Cynthia, that's true!

 
At 4:46 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

It's the first time I hear of Maggie Beer and I'll be looking her up, KJ!
This is a delicious treat.
As for the almonds being gone, I'm in no position of judging your dad - they are my favorite nuts and I would have attacked them too! :D

 
At 3:07 am, Blogger Laura said...

The cake looks lovely--and that is seriously funny about your dad. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet