Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Simple Banana Cake



I find it hard to properly regulate my banana buying at the moment. I buy a few and suddenly I can't get enough of them. I then buy a big bunch and the thought of eating them makes me feel positively sick. Illness can do funny things to your appetite.

Typically, once bananas start getting long in the tooth I throw them into the freezer with the promise that I will do something with them soon. This is all very well, but as usual, I do not quite get around to it and so their population builds at a rabbit like rate.



Last week I realised that I had frozen bananas in plague proportions. The freezer was so fed up with the situation that it had taken to hurling them at my toes every time I was silly enough to open the door.



What else was there to do but to make a banana cake. I have only ever used one recipe for banana cake - Simple Banana Cake in Stephanie Alexander's Cook's Companion. It's such a good recipe I have never had to look elsewhere.

It's hard to beat banana cake. Not only is it delicious there's also that illusion of healthiness - after all it's full of fruit which is full of fibre and vitamins and all that. I choose to believe.




Simple Banana Cake
(adapted from Cook's Companion)

125gm unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
few drops vanilla
250gm plain flour
1 tspn bicarbonate soda
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn cinnamon
1/8 tspn ground allspice
1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup milk with 1 tspn lemon juice

Butter and flour a 20cm square cake tin, then line the base with baking paper.

Cream butter and sugar and then beat in eggs, banana and vanilla. Sift the dry ingredients and add to the mixture, alternating with the milk or buttermilk.

Spoon into tin and bake in a 180C oven for 45 minutes to an hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for a few minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack.

13 Comments:

At 1:45 am, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is the best way to use those little frozen banana torpedoes accumulating in your freezer.

 
At 10:20 am, Blogger Deborah said...

I, too have quite a collection in my freezer, and this looks like a perfect way to use them up!

 
At 12:54 am, Blogger grace said...

although it's rare that i let my bananas get too far gone to eat plain, your cake looks so soft and moist that i may let them fester just so i can make it. :)

 
At 6:11 am, Blogger Katie said...

I love a good banana cake and this one looks fab. I must admit to having a freezer full of bananas too.

 
At 4:11 pm, Blogger Elle said...

How funny to think of frozen bannanas leaping out of the freezer, having multiplied like rabbits. This cake looks like the perfect solution. Simple but delish.

 
At 7:30 pm, Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I love banana cake and because we all eat bananas I sometimes have to buy some that are on the turn just so I know they'll be too far gone within a day - then we can make cake. Hope you're feeling 100% better! x

 
At 11:28 pm, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

That looks delicious and very moist, KJ. I love baking with banana, the smell in the kitchen is irresistible! :)
I've had that book for ages but have only cooked from it once. I should use it more!

 
At 6:58 am, Blogger La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I buy lot's of bananas. I have 12 ready to go in breads or muffins. I love yours.

 
At 1:27 pm, Blogger Rachel Goldman said...

I have to bookmark this because I always buy too many (good intentions and then no desire to actually eat them) and they end up going bad. But banana cake? That is practically health food.

 
At 5:38 pm, Blogger FoodieFi said...

The further you let your bananas go, the better result on banana bread. Once mine are past eating, I put them in a bag and wait til they're black. When it comes to making the bread, I have to prepare it outside so that the whole house doesn't reek of very overripe banana!

And, in my opinion, it's certifiably a health food :)

 
At 7:58 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Val - definitely!!!

Hi Deborah - this cake is hard to beat.

Hi Grace - I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Hi Katie - it seems to be a universal problem.

Hi Elle - they definitely have minds of their own.

Hi Amanda - bananas are terrific kid food. Thanks for the best wishes.

Hi Patricia - I hope you do. Cook's Companion is one of my favourite cookbooks. There are some fantastic recipes in there.

Hi Helene - you have a lot of yumminess to look forward to!!

Hi Fi - Thanks, I will remember that for next time.

 
At 5:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds create and sounds like it's super moist, which is so important in banana cake.

 
At 9:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow .. this looks delicious. I love the recipe. Let me try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet